Administering the Rate Table
This article shows how to edit the Rates Matrix in ResourceFirst.
The rate matrix is used to calculate labor cost from labor assignment forecast demand.
Displaying the Rate Table
Step 1: Click on the Administration icon (gears icon) on the blue ResourceFirst application toolbar and select Rates from the dropdown menu.
The rate table is empty initially.
Note: Managers with FR2 and R3 rights will have an Edit Rates option on their Administration menu, which will allow them to edit the “User Rate.” Aside from that, only those with Administrator rights can edit the Rate Table.
Step 2: Click the button, found in the upper right of the page.
Filtering the Table
Filter options are at the top of the page. They filter the data by Node, Skill, Cost Category, Country, Location, or Start or End Date.
Step 1: Select your filter and then click the button again. For example, the screenshot below shows data filtered on the country USA.
[Note: For all rates entered in ResourceFirst, a zero (“0”) in the field counts as a rate. Be careful to leave the rate blank if you do not want a zero rate to override any other rates for the item.]
Step 1: To add new rows to the rate matrix, click the plus sign on the upper left application bar . A new row is created at the top of the table.
Step 2: Enter your data and click the Save icon.
Tips & Tricks
- The rate matrix is used only for calculating the cost of labor demand. Non-labor cost is calculated from the rates located on the Admin>Lists>Financial Items page.
- ResourceFirst considers rates in the following order:
- Cost Category,
- Specify a time period during which the rate applies. For an indefinite period, use a date some number of years from the current date, for example 12/31/2050 as the To date. Should the rate increase, retain the original row, change its To date to the day before the rate change, and add a new row with the date range that has the revised rate.
For calculating skill assignment cost:
- At a minimum: Populate the Skill field and another qualifying field such as the Node field.
For example, a Mechanical Engineer from France may have cost rate different from one located in the US.
- Use the other fields as needed.
For calculating named resource assignment cost:
- Almost NEVER populate the Resource field.
- Instead populate the broadest set of fields that meet your needs.
For example, if you are using one blended rate per skill per country, you would create rows for each relevant country-skill combination.
For non-labor assignment (not in this Labor Rates table):
- Non-labor cost is calculated from the period values on financial assignments and the rates on Admin>Lists>Financial Items.
For a full understanding of how rates work in ResourceFirst, including the Rate Matrix and other sources of rates, see Understanding Labor Rates.
Step 1: Click a field in the row and click the Delete icon (trash can icon on the upper left Application Bar).
Step 2: Click the Save icon.
Duplicating a Rate Record
Step 1: Click a field in the row you wish to copy and click the Copy icon (middle icon on the upper left Application Bar). An exact copy of the selected row is added to the top of the table.
Step 2: Modify the values in the new row and click the Save icon.